I Don't Care



I DON'T CARE




The absolute truth is –
I do not care.

I care nothing whatever for the car you drive.
The clothes you wear are meaningless to me.
A-list? So what? B-list or even D-list,
it means nothing to me.
I could not possibly care less
if you know someone
who knows someone
who is close to someone
who can do something
for me – or against me.

I only care about the words
that flutter from your mind,
falling gently on the table between us,
or ringing and stinging my ears.
Only the thoughts that you share with me,
the visions that you can make me see,
the vistas that you convey to me with words,
are worth a damn to me.

I will not fall in love with your bones and skin.
I am ambivalent about the places you have been,
there is nothing you can pull from your pocket
that would thrill me.

But tell me a story,
write me a poem,
share a slice of truth with me
in ways both clever and apt –

…and I will be yours forever.

-----
Shared with DVerse Poets for Open Link Night.

-----

©2014 Christopher Reilley

I would love to know what you thought about this piece. Please consider leaving a comment.

Comments

  1. From Helen @ Poetry Matters ~~ your poem is one trillion percent certain to turn any and every head / heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words are potent and the bearer of this gift is enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only more could live like this... so many only cares about what they see and not what's said (or done)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that. Sharing stories and slices of truth.....nothing else matters.
    ~Mish

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautifully poignant work done! I resonate with this part; "I only care about the words that flutter from your mind, falling gently on the table between us, or ringing and stinging my ears." Amen to that ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts